Monday, October 13, 2014

Sketching Again

Recently I have been working to go back and further develop my core skill set.  I have been focused on so many things for so long, I feel like I haven't been able to make the progress I would like to in a specific area.  I haven't stopped working in other areas, but I am trying to focus on and put more time into drawing, painting, and 3D modeling.  To that end, I am making it a point to find time to sketch every single day.
I have always had difficulty being steady at sketching.  It is an attention issue.  However, because I have been doing so much better at finally getting a daily exercise routine, I thought I would try this again.  After almost a month, I now have formed a habit.  I have trouble going to sleep if I haven't gotten my sketch time in.  So, I am starting to see improvements.  It has been a while since I could say that about my drawing.
A long time ago I started sketching with a ball point pen, and I can't seem to break the habit.  The reasoning was that I would fudge and fiddle with my sketches until they were great messes.  By using a ball point pen, it forces me to make decisions.  My indecision on a line now is usually limited to three or four, where with pencils I would go over it a few dozen times.  It also forces me to move on.  If I am not happy with a sketch, I can't erase it and keep fiddling with it until I am.  Instead, I just have to move on to the next one and start fresh.  It takes away the tendency to be precious with each drawing and enforces repetition and practice.

I still have a long way to go as an artist.  But I am pleased to see some progress again.  My goal is to keep this up so that I have much more solid core skills than I have had in the past.  I will start posting more actual sketches again (which I haven't done in a long, long time).  Right now I am trying to mix these types of doodles, with actual life drawings and anatomical studies.  That way, hopefully, my doodles will start becoming more structural and solid than they have been in the past.

No comments: