Saturday, November 15, 2014

Head Sketches

I have been discovering the joys of pneumonia.  I usually have very little good to say about being sick.  However, it has given me a lot of time to think and reflect.  Between being in and out of sleep, I have also had time to myself to work in my sketchbook and go through my thoughts and re-evaluate my goals.

I am actually happy with the direction my life is going right now.  I haven't always been able to say that, and I may have times in the future where I won't be able to again.  But for now, I am happy.  I enjoy teaching, I enjoy time with my family, and for the first time in a long time I feel like my art skills are starting to show improvement again.  That is a good feeling.  I am happy to be going back to the basics more and feel that it is a good time for it.

I have been keeping up with my goal to try and sketch everyday, and that is causing most of the improvement.  I am also working on larger drawings again and am finally starting to find some of the line work and draftsmanship that I was looking for when I started this journey into art 16 years ago with my associate degree.

I still have moments of trepidation as an artist.  I start a project and wonder "Can I really do what I am about to try and do again?"  But, slowly, I am gaining more confidence and despite the fear at the start of each project I am getting better about working through it.  I have a feeling that I will be akin to Hokusai.  Everything I do before 70 won't be worth bothering about, but by 100 I might finally be the artist I want to be.

Whether I ever become the artist I want to be, I at least am feeling a sense of improvement.  Keep checking back, and I will do my best to keep posting what progress I make.

-Henry

2 comments:

lee woo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cindy Dy said...

I read your blog.I thought it was great.. Hope you have a great day. God bless.

Rica
www.imarksweb.org