I still am not quite ready to post about Ish yet, but plan on doing it in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I did want to keep up on posting. Lately I have been working on projects for my kids. I am focusing mostly on a game for my son Orin right now. It is called "Super Orin", after his super hero persona. My children love playing as super heroes and all of them use "Super" in front of their names when they play.
I guess I should step back a little and talk briefly about Ish, in order to give a better idea of why I am going the direction I am now. Ish was never meant to be as large of a game as it has become. It was going to be a small game that would help set up some pipelines and processes for future games.
It wasn't a total loss or failure though. For me, it was a way of keeping up my skillset, as well as a way for exploring and developing new skills. I have learned a lot through the process of developing Ish. It also allowed me to keep my curriculum up to date at my day job at the college.
I am treating my family as if they are my clients and I need to develop the game for them. We have meetings (usually around the dinner table), they give me feedback, and then I bring them updates based on their feedback.
I then printed out copies of the different costumes, and at dinner we looked over them and everyone discussed what they liked, didn't like, and still wanted to see.
That discussion led to the composite character that is in the third image of the post. I then took that, and some additional feedback and created a series of characters in a paperdoll like fashion, where each of the components could be separated out and combined to explore new directions with the costume. Those are shown in the fourth and fifth images.
At another dinner, everyone looked them over and gave their suggestions for combinations. Those selections are what ended up as the sixth image.
We then talked about exploring different costume patterns, as shown in the eighth image. But, in the end, we decided on staying with the first pattern. There were many other variations we explored, but rather than post a ton more pictures with slight variations, I just decided to post the final product. That is the ninth image.
With the character design complete, I then did a shading pass to give the character more dimension. I was also planning on using it as a foundation for the colors.
Once the colors for Super Orin were settled, I then had to work on the shield coloring, as shown in the thirteenth image. Everyone seemed to lean towards the red shield and cape.
I am now working on the prototype for the game and am getting the base functionality in. I will post that some time soon to show the process I am going through.
I don't know if anyone is actually interested in seeing these progress images, but I wanted to share anyway. I am trying to be better about blogging.
Feel free to let me know what your thoughts are, or if there is anything you are interested in seeing.