Monday, February 23, 2015

New Markers / Doodle Sketches

 I am very happy.  Last Friday I got my new marker set.  It was the 72 color Prismacolor chisel tip set.  First thing I did was organize the markers, and then test each of them on the sketchbook I am using so that I could see how each color reacts to the paper.

 From there, I started playing around.  Without anything specific to draw, I just did some quick swirls and squiggly lines to get something on the paper.  Then I tried to create drawings of faces and figures with the doodle lines as a guide.

I like to do this on occasion when I feel stumped.  This is another tool in addition to just doing life drawing when I have no direction.  Through this exercise, I explore shapes I wouldn't normally try.  It also helps prevent me from just staring at a blank sheet of paper.

Here is what turned out over the last couple of days.  I have a lot more drawings, but I am finding that the marker rendering takes quite a bit of time.  I hope that as I continue to play with them, my speed will increase and my rendering and colors will improve.  For now, here are some of the fun ones that came out.

No comments: